Proverbs 16:1-9 – “The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD. 2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs the motives. 3 Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established. 4 The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil. 5 Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Assuredly, he will not be unpunished. 6 By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for, And by the fear of the LORD one keeps away from evil. 7 When a man’s ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. 8 Better is a little with righteousness Than great income with injustice. 9 The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.” NASB
Solomon was deemed the wisest man on earth during his day and this bit of counsel is incredibly powerful if received. Wisdom is valuable only if it is heeded, appropriated, and applied to one’s life. If it is not then it’s just more words and becomes nothing more than theory to the hearer. Listen to what the wise man says here and consider how you can apply it to our own life:
- Man makes his plans, but the true answer is from God.
We all dream, we all have goals either written or in our minds. We all have a more or less mapped-out strategy and idea of how we are going to reach those goals, but ultimately it is God who has the plan. Therefore, if we are to truly be where we should be, and that God is the One in whom we should seek not our plans.
- Man justifies himself, but God knows the true motives and heart.
We, most of the time, will attempt to find some justification, excuse, or reason for our actions, but God truly knows all and sees the end from the beginning. Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart.
- If we commit (dedicate) our works to the Lord, He will establish His plans for our lives, and we will walk into the fullness of what He has designed and desired for us.
- God is truly Lord of all, even those who will not acknowledge His Lordship at this time.
There will come a day when every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord.
- Pride is abominable to God and will receive a just reward.
He will judge everyone in love and truth, the good, obedient, and evil.
- The way to peace is following and pleasing the Lord for when our ways please Him he puts a muzzle on our enemies.
- Money is not the answer to all our problems, following God in righteousness is.
- Do not allow your mind to map out your life you don’t know the end from the beginning.
Instead, seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and He will direct your path, your steps, and guide you into the ABUNDANT LIFE He has not only designed for us but promised to us.
Consider these things and allow the Holy Spirit to show you how to take the wisdom of this passage and apply it to your lives daily and I can promise you, your life will be richer and much more rewarding as a result.
Blessings as you begin this new day He has made and rejoice in it!