Job 38:1-2 – “Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said, 2 “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?” NASU
It has always been amusing for me to listen to and watch the ‘pseudo-intellectuals’ attempt to explain GOD and the INFINITE. I say ‘pseudo’ because in comparison to the Infinite Wisdom and Knowledge of God that is all it amounts to. God demonstrated His impatience with the one-upmanship of Job and his friends in trying to prove their rightness and righteousness while appearing more knowing than their fellows. God also demonstrated His beautiful sense of humor in His questions to Job in this Chapter.
Consider the questions:
- Where were you when I (God) laid the foundation of the earth?
- Who set its measurements?
- Who stretched the line on it?
- On what were its bases sunk?
- Who laid its cornerstone?
- Who enclosed the seas with doors?
- Have you ever commanded the morning?
- What is the way to the abode of light?
- Where does darkness reside?
- Have you ever entered the storehouses of the snow or hail?
- How about the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed or the place where it is scattered over the earth.
- Have you ever cut a channel for the torrents of rain or created a path for a thunderstorm?
- Does the rain have a father and who fathers the dew?
- From whose womb does ice come and who gives birth to the frost?
- Can you cause the constellations to appear in their seasons?
- Does nature report to you?
These are just a few of the questions God asked Job in Chapters 38-39 and then in Chapter 40, He asked – “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!”
Job knew he was in trouble immediately. Job understood that he was finite and God was infinite. He knew that his knowledge was limited and God’s was unlimited. He knew he was a creation and God was the creator. Job knew that although what befell him was not of his own making he was in need of the mercy of God and as a flawed human being he needed forgiveness and mercy. Sadly, some never seem to understand and continue to live lives of ‘self-justification’ rather than appealing to the mercy of God.
When I become so keenly aware of the presence of God that I can almost hold it in my hands I have a deep sense of awe and know that I am in the presence of the one who is INFINITE, Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent. HE KNOWS! HE SEES! HE HEARS! Nothing is hidden from Him so when I come into His presence I seek to ensure there is no pretense only honesty. That being said, I desire in my heart to live each day that way free of pretense and totally dependent upon God.
May God bless you and be with you as you go through your day!