Psalms 56:3 – “When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.” NASU
Isaiah 12:2 – “Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation.” NASU
Picking up where we left off I have found that there are five separate words translated TRUST in Scripture. Let’s consider them:
- Psalm 22:8 – – “He Trusted on the Lord.” The word is [galal] = to roll.
It speaks of Christ in the hours of His crucifixion and David wrote, “He rolled Himself on the Lord.” He TRUSTED and that is a picture of ‘complete confidence and dependence.’
- Job 35:14 – – “Therefore trust thou in Him…” The word is [chul] = to wait or stay upon. It depicts confidence and patience. Elihu said to Job – – ‘Wait for Him.’
- Job 35:15 – – “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.”
In answering his friends, Job used the Hebrew word for Hope – [yachal]. Even in the face of death Job would not give up his Hope, Confidence, and Trust in God.
- Psalm 91:4 – – “He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust…” The word is [chasah] = To flee for refuge.
- The most frequently used word is [batach] = to confide in or lean upon.
Therefore, TRUST seems to be a rolling of our needs upon God followed by a patient waiting upon, Him to act and is hope even when things seem to be hopeless and means to flee to God and His promises for refuge when doubt and fear make a frontal assault.
We find that David and Isaiah are both correct! Their difference is not in the fact that they trusted it is WHEN they trusted. We all have TRUST inherent in our natures. We could not live without it. Consider the chair you are sitting in as you read this. You trust it to hold you up and not let you crash to the floor. You didn’t think about it you simply sat down in it demonstrating your trust!
The issue is not TRUST but the object of our TRUST. 2 Corinthians 1:9 advises that we are to trust God not self and 1 Timothy 6:17 warns not to trust riches but God.
Dwight L. Moody said:
- Trust Self and you are doomed to disappointment.
- Trust Friends and they will leave you.
- Trust Money and you’ll have it taken away.
- Trust Reputation and some slanderous tongue may blast it.
- Trust God and you will never be confounded in time or eternity.
Excellent advice! We should TRUST God’s self-existence and eternality. We can assuredly rest in his dependability and infallibility. We can confidently depend upon His Omnipotence for you see God is not only ALIVE but ACTIVE! His love, mercy, grace, and peace is extended to us and we can REST in Him.
May God be with you as you go through your day!