Psalms 23:1-6 – “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.” NKJV
I was troubled in my spirit most of the night, not just from physical pain but the pain in my spirit and could not sleep so I arose and spent several hours praying and studying before going for my morning walk. As I walked the Lord began to speak to me about Psalm 23 and this is what I heard in my spirit:
- THE LORD IS… Not has but “is”. Not does but “is’. Not might be but “is”. The Lord IS “my” shepherd. He is the one watching over my soul and caring for me. No other person, power, or entity – THE LORD! I’ve heard people say for all my life, “Well you’ve got to look out for old number one, meaning themselves.” My take, since becoming a Christian is that “old number one” is THE LORD and He is to be sought above and before everything else including self, family, church, job, relationship, etc. HE IS!
- BECAUSE HE IS… I shall not be in Lack! He is my provider and as David declared in Psalms 37:25-26 – “I have been young, and now am old, Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread. 26 He is ever merciful and lends, And his descendants are blessed.” NKJV
Paul echoed that sentiment in Philippians 4:19-20 – “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.” NKJV
Jesus confirmed this in Matthew 7:7-9 – “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” NKJV Therefore, if He Is then among the things He Is, is “my supply.”
THE PROCESS OF HIS CARE AND KEEPING…
- Causes me to rest in Green (plenteous) Pastures.
- Directs me to Still (refreshing) waters for nourishment to quench my thirst, spiritually, physically, and emotionally.
- Guides me in Righteous Paths.
- Guards Me against all enemies (Foreign and Domestic or External and Internal).
- Even in the Face of Death, He gives a Calm Assurance.
- He provides not only Grace but the Anointing to accomplish His purposes.
- I walk the Abundant Life filled with His Goodness & His Mercy.
- I spend my entire days with my Permanent Residence in His Presence!
That is the picture of what it is like to serve The God Who Is! It is the picture of the Normal Christian Life! Most think it is the abnormal and unusual Christian Life that I have described but according to the Bible, it is the Norman Christian Life serving The God Who Is! Therefore, I urge you to allow the Holy Spirit to immerse you into that life today and learn to live in His Abundant Life and Presence on a daily basis.
Blessings as you enter this day following His footsteps and living under His protective Care!