Matthew 6:9-13 – “In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.” NKJV
Through the years of studying Scripture and the Prayer Strategies that Jesus taught I find there are at least “six” definite topics or principles which need our focus. As we incorporate those principles in our lives we will become more effective prayer warriors in the Kingdom.
Victorious Prayer affects others and incredible things result. We must never forget or fail to realize that we are engaged in a Supernatural War. Our commission and directive are to utilize the Spiritual Weapons we have been given to defeat the enemy. Jesus commissioned us to pull down strongholds, and set the captive free from the chains of darkness.
Our fight is not against flesh even though, at times, it seems it is. We are battling those things not seen by the natural eye in heavenly realms. We are standing against and battling principalities, powers, rulers of darkness, and spiritual wickedness in high places. We are battling a defeated foe but one that will fight until the final chains are placed on them.
Let’s briefly consider the Principles we should learn and focus on in Prayer:
- PRAISE – – I call this the recognition stage where we give verbal and mental acknowledgment and recognition of whose we are and who we serve. “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be Your Name.”
I am convinced that too frequently we enter the Prayer Closet with “gimme, gimme, gimme” and bombard heaven with our petitions rather than dealing with our hearts and entering God’s presence with thanksgiving and praise. This is the conditioning of our heart in recognizing the One before whom we are standing or kneeling. HE IS GOD!
- PRIORITIES – – This is the submission stage where we make a verbal commitment to obey the Will of God in all things and at all times. “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven.” In or on Earth AS IT IS in Heaven. First things first and we know from the words of our LORD that we are to “seek first the Kingdom of God… seek first His righteousness…” HE MUST BE FIRST!
- PROVISION – – This is the appropriation stage where we learn to appropriate the promises and receive the provision of God’s supply. “Give us this day our daily bread.” Remember Jesus telling His disciples, “take no thought of tomorrow, sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof…” I do not have to know what tomorrow holds but I do need to know who holds tomorrow and know that HE WILL PROVIDE. This is the development of trust.
- PEACE – – This is the stage where we reconcile differences and learn how to get along with others in this life. “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” The conditional aspect of that is incredibly powerful and should be both comforting and arresting. The word “AS” is incredible and key. In this stage, we learn to roll our cares on the LORD and learn to release those who have wronged us and how to reconcile with those we have wronged.
- POWER – – Here we learn how to consistently and effectively defeat the devil. “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” There is power in the presence of God and this gives focus on the position and condition where we take up permanent residence in His presence.
- PRAISE – – We come full circle and this is where we reestablish our commitment, trust, and confidence in God. “For thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, for every. Amen.”
For us to become mighty in God it is imperative that we learn how to pray! For us to fulfill the commission given us, we must learn how to pray! But more than learning HOW we MUST PRAY!
God bless you as you embark on today’s leg of life’s journey!