Philippians 4:6-7 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” NASU
Each of us has experienced a time or times of a troubled spirit and been anxious or worried about something. I find it most comforting and challenging that the Bible teaches that we can have “peace” in all things, all the time, in all circumstances. That does not mean it is necessarily easy but possible and a promise from the Lord. There is a “key” to this level of living that cannot be practiced on an intermittent basis but must become a lifestyle if we are to walk on this plane continually.
Here Paul gives us some keys to “Peace”:
- Be ANXIOUS for Nothing. (Don’t fret, don’t worry, don’t fear, don’t become overcome, or overrun by what is happening around you.) That is a TALL ORDER but then he tells us how to accomplish this.
- IN EVERYTHING by “prayer” and “supplication” with “thanksgiving” let your requests be made known to God.
- Prayer – – Communication with God. (Talking to Him. Telling Him how you feel, what you are thinking, and acknowledging His person, power, and presence)
- Supplication – – Here is the petition part of prayer. This is where you are presenting your needs, desires, and requests before the throne in light of WHO HE IS.
- Thanksgiving – – Without a grateful heart little is accomplished in the Kingdom. Without a grateful heart, we will forget TO WHOM we owe all that we are, have and will be. We forget that WITHOUT HIM we can do nothing. We forget that our HUMAN FRAILTY will never overcome the CIRCUMSTANCES of life and the EVIL POWERS that come against us. We will never learn to live in a STATE OF CONTENTMENT.
THEN it is in this condition that Paul tells us that the PEACE OF GOD that is beyond human ability to comprehend or understand floods our hearts, guards our hearts, and covers our minds so that every thought is brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. It is here that we walk FREE OF WORRY and LIVE IN A CONTINUAL STATE OF PEACE. We are secure in our relationship, or position, or potential, our promise, and our place in Him. We then can say with Paul, “To die is gain but to live profitable for you.” We walk in total confidence in Him IN EVERYTHING! This is where the LOVE OF GOD that banishes all fear fills our hearts and lives and we become so AT ONE with Jesus that when people see us, hear us, and encounter us they encounter Him. We are then “ruled by peace” and it is a peace that the world did not give and the world cannot steal.
May God bless you as you continue your week in Him! Blessings in the Lord of Lord and King of Kings!