Romans 10:14-15 – “How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!” NASU
This last part is a quote from Isaiah 52:7 – “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, Who proclaims peace, Who brings glad tidings of good things, Who proclaims salvation, Who says to Zion, “Your God reigns!” NKJV Paul, a preacher, teacher, apostle extraordinaire calls attention to the importance of PREACHING or SHARING THE GOSPEL of Jesus Christ to the World. I love his simple but detailed and to the point transition.
- How can you expect someone to call upon God if they have not believed in Him?
- How can you expect anyone to believe in God if they have not heard of Him?
- How can they hear unless someone tells them about Him?
- The one telling them is designated a PREACHER.
- Those who preach are SENT ONES from the Lord.
Then quoting Isaiah he uses a most interesting picture about “Beautiful Feet” of those who bring the Good News! The feet are not normally associated with body parts that are beautiful. I say that with respect to most of us at least. Yet, the feet were the primary means of transportation in Paul’s day. You and I who spread the “Good News” could be identified as “foot soldiers” for Jesus.
THE FEET ARE BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE:
- As a means of transportation, they brought light into darkness.
- As a means of transportation, they brought the power of the Gospel to the world.
- As a means of transportation, they brought Salvation to a lost world.
- As a means of transportation, they brought Hope to the Hopeless.
I don’t know about you but if something brings me HOPE when there is DISPAIR it is a beautiful vehicle in my eyes! In Paul’s day, it was a common expression that a student would “sit at the feet” of the teacher and learn. The feet were associated with the bringing of information, knowledge, and even wisdom. Therefore, it is not the actual body part that holds the beauty but the fact that it enabled the PREACHER to come forward with the GOOD NEWS! Therein is the beauty! So, if you are sharing the Good News I declare that you are one of which this speaks as having “beautiful feet” and a “beautiful heart.”
May God be with you as you go through your day!