Ephesians 6:13-20 – “Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, 15 and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; 16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints, 19 and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.” NASB
This is a lengthy passage for a short morning devotional, but I want to pull out a few key elements and focus on them briefly. We live in troubled times and the world around us is in chaos and crumbling from the reality that we have known most of our lives.
The prophecies of the Bible seem more relevant and imminent than at any time in our lifetime so what do we do? How do we respond? What do we think? How do we live? We basically have two choices we can live in fear or faith. We can live in a survival mode mentality or an overcoming mentality. I believe that is what Paul is addressing here for those hearing him.
It is important to know what the Full Armor of God is, how to put it on and when we are missing an element of it. That is critical to our survival as well as our success in our labors for His Kingdom.
Yet he says something that signifies the determination we must have, the commitment we must possess, and the faith/confidence we must embody in these last days. “…having done everything to stand. Stand firm….” Once you’ve done all you know, in Him to do, plant yourself like a granite boulder and refuse to be shaken from your position in Him. Don’t run in fear, death is not to be feared. Don’t run in fear, He is more than a conqueror. Don’t run in fear, His promises will not fail, and He will never leave us Nor forsake us.
We need to focus first and foremost on Him, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He must become the central figure of our universe.
- Everything must revolve around Him, His will, His desire, His word, His way, His character, and His Love.
- We must invest ourselves in Truth and make it a covering for our lives (for out of it we reproduce).
- Our hearts must be anchored in Righteousness because if our hearts condemn us and wickedness is found in our hearts, we are easy targets for the evil one.
- Our feet (Walk, Way of Life) must be shod with the Gospel for that is our driving force. He is the truth, the way, and the life and no other way to God but through Him.
- We must carry the Shield of Faith for without faith it is impossible to please Him much less face the struggles of life that we have now and will have on an even greater scale in the days to come.
- We must have our minds covered with the Helmet of Salvation. We too frequently discount the thought processes but in a great measure, salvation begins in the mind. “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” We are not what we think we are, but we are a product of what we think.
- We must be committed to Prayer!
It is not only for survival that we need this but for taking the battle to the enemy and claiming the land for Christ. We are triumphant in as much as we do these things. So, do all that you know to do to stand then determine in your heart to keep on standing No Matter What! He will give you the grace, strength, encouragement, and power to come through the Fire and the Flood victorious.
Blessings as you go through your weekend victorious in Christ!