Matthew 6:9-13 – “Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name. 10’Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11’Give us this day our daily bread. 12’And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13’And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.’” NASB
Jesus gave His disciples and the Body of Christ a Prayer Strategy in these verses. In them, we find six (6) definite prayer topics, which, when followed as a guide, not a formula, will lead to tremendous spiritual victory. That victory will be experienced in our own lives and others. We will engage in victorious prayer that impacts others positively.
We are dealing with the supernatural. We are waging warfare in the heavenlies. We are pulling down strongholds or fortresses. We are standing against the principalities, powers, rulers of darkness, and spiritual wickedness in high places. Jesus has given us a plan for Victorious Spiritual Warfare. It is time for the Body of Christ to both realize it and engage in prayer warfare.
The six (6) topics are:
- Praise – –Here is were we appropriate the promises. “Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed by Thy Name.”
- Priorities – – Here is where we discover and engage in submission to the Father’s Will. “Thy Kingdom Come. They will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.”
- Provision – – Here we appropriate God’s Supply. “Give us this day our daily bread.”
- Peace – – Here we find the key in interpersonal relationships. “And forgive us our debts (sins), as we also forgive our debtors.”
- Power – – Here we discover the ability to consistently defeat the devil. “And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”
- Praise – – In this we find the strength and power to obey God’s Word, Will, and Way. “For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, forever. Amen.”
Jesus provided a means whereby we could become mighty prayer warriors and thereby, mighty warriors in the spirit realm. For us to fulfill our mission and commission, we must learn to pray. We must be able to pray fervently and effectively. Prayer is vital for spiritual victory.
Step One is to begin in Praise! Here we change our focus from self and our circumstances to Him and His Purposes. As we focus on Him, His Promises, and Provisions we create a condition in our hearts for faith to grow and develop. Our confidence and hope begin to flourish in our hearts, and we are enabled to achieve a place in the spirit realm where we can engage in even the most difficult aspects of spiritual warfare.
Step Two is Submission. We must come to the place of total surrender to God. Anything short of total surrender will leave the door open for doubt, discouragement, and defeat. Once we have invited the presence of God into our prayer time through praise, we are able to take this step.
I believe that prayer is the most critical element of the spiritual life and spiritual warfare and until we learn to pray, we will never fully achieve and receive the abundant life that Jesus came to bring.
We will pause here and address this one more time in the next devotional. Until then, God with God and He will go with you.
Have a Great Day!